Thursday, August 31, 2017

Bra 1: Beginning the Boylston

Just taking a little tea break from actually sewing my bra project, and thought I'd do a progress update.

Omg, this is the most nerve wracking sewing I've ever done! It's actually going quite well so far, and I've already learned a ton. Namely, I didn't choose good fabrics for this particular pattern (I should have used foam and fabric not lace and 15 denier lining), and that I am not a fan of the 15 denier.



The thing I'm most happy about is that my sewing machine has not tried to eat my fabric (yet). I made sure I switched over to a ballpoint needle before I started sewing this project.

My main fabric is some non-stretch black lace, which I figured I should fully line, since it's pretty thin.  It is really REALLY difficult to keep the two fabrics together (lace and 15 denier). I should have picked up some spray adhesive before I got started, but seriously, who wants to make an extra trip to Walmart with 2 kids?



I'm just taking things super slow. Slow cutting, slow sewing, slow pressing, slow trimming.  Sllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I ordered some applique scissors from Bra Maker's Supply when I placed my fabric/notions order earlier this week, which I am glad to have (what a satisfying this to trim those seams so close!). I was a bit surprised when they arrived and weren't Gingher brand - since the product page specifically said they were (and they were $25!!).  Sigh...not happy about that.  They're okay, but not Gingher.



I took the advice given on the Craftsy class and marked the right sides of the fabric with a sticker. Thankfully these sticker dots come in gigantic packs.



I'm going to keep going on this bra, but when I'm done, I think I'll start on a Harriet Bra by Cloth Habit, which in hindsight I probably should have started with. My materials are a better match, and there's tons of info on the construction in the sew along.

No comments:

Post a Comment