Monday, October 9, 2017

Fav Tee - Toddler Edition

I decided that my almost 2 year old needed a t-shirt out of the leftover fabric from my Concord T-Shirt by Cashmerette (which I may or may not have blogged already depending on when I publish this).

I bought 2 meters of white cotton/spandex (95% cotton / 5% spandex) and had about 0.5 meters leftover after I finished my Concord, and fairly quickly realized that I was going to be able to make more than 1 toddler shirt out of the leftovers.



While Patterns for Pirates was having a 30% off sale (it's over now), I snapped up the Fav Tee, which is the girls version. I had originally planned to get the bundle with the women's t-shirt as well, but I am so happy with the fit of the Concord, I didn't really feel the need to.

E's measurements put her in the 9 month size...she's going to be 2 in two weeks...and wears an 18 - 24 month size is basically all the kids brands out there (Carters/Oshkosh, Old Navy, Children's Place, etc).  Definitely go by your kid's measurements, because the 9 month size actually fits her.

This t-shirt pattern has lots of options...wait, can I just take a minute to sing the praises of Patterns for Pirates for using layers in their pdf's?  It makes it so easy to print the size, or two/three (if you're grading), and not have a bunch of extra lines to ignore.

The no trim pages are also just fantastic. No words. Amazing. Heavens opening, angels singing, annoyance free pdf pattern printing. Just the best.

Ok, so back to the options...I chose to make the 3/4 length sleeve, scoop neck, tie bottom version. The tie bottom takes a fair amount of fabric, but it is so cute, I think it's worth it. I'm also looking forward to trying the contrasting tie bottom at some point.

For the first shirt, I did basically all the assembly on the serger, with just hemming the cuffs and top stitching the neck band on my sewing machine with a double needle (first time using one of these and it's pretty cool!).  With the double needle, I found I got the best results with my stitch length at nearly 4mm and the upper thread tension at 3.  The twin needle I bought was a Shmetz, 2.5mm Stretch Twin Needle.  I kind of regret (just a little) not buying the slightly wider twin needle.

I also sewed in clear elastic to the shoulder seams, which was something I did for the first time on my Concord T-Shirt, and I figured it'd carry over to this shirt (it did). 

Here's what I'm doing differently for the second one -

  • I'm hemming the cuffs with the (double needle) before seaming the sleeve. These sleeves are tiny and a huge struggle on my sewing machine no matter how I manipulate the fabric.  
  • I sewed the tie band pieces together on the serger the first time, and for the second shirt I've zigzagged this seam (1.5mm long / 2.5mm wide). It gave my much more control and less bulk in the points. I'll still attach the band to the shirt with the serger though.
  • I'll be sewing the tie front opening facing on the sewing machine this time. It's just too fiddly and tiny to get it to work well on the serger. It was not fun to stitch it on the serger the first time and the edge isn't exposed in the end, so I'm fine zigzagging this part too. 


That's it! Not to many changes for the second one.  All in all, I managed to cut 2 of the tie band shirts and one non-tie band shirt out of 0.5 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment