Monday, July 16, 2018

Follow The Birds

Yesterday we headed out on an 'adventure' (as my 2 and 4 year olds call anything that isn't part of our normal routine).  We took the ferry from Tsawwassen (Vancouver) to Swartz Bay (Victoria) to attend a memorial garden tea for my grandmother, who passed away earlier this year.

It was the perfect day for it - sunny and warm. Actually, way too warm in the sun, but just perfect in a garden with lots of shade in the woods.


This is the time of year I spent the most time with my grandparents on the island. My parents would drop us off there, and often we'd stay with them for a week or two at a time.  Sometimes we'd head up island for a camping trip, we'd visit with aunts, uncles, and cousins, and spend lots of time in their huge garden, among other fun things too numerous to name. It was always fun.  Always.

This year they've both passed away, the house has been sold, and all that's left are a million fading memories.

Emotionally it was a more difficult trip than I had anticipated.


I am a chronic project over-packer, except when I don't pack enough - I think this spurs the over-packing.  I opted to take two project with me, each with lots to do still.

I brought a pair of top down afterthought heel vanilla socks, the heel placement already completed on one, and nearly completed on the other, which means there was a ton of mindless knitting and pretty stripes left.  I didn't even pull this out of my bag, because I was enjoying the other project I brought so much.

The Cozy Knitter Bliss Sock - Hydrangea Bloom

The second project I brought with me was the Portrush Poncho by Brenda Brayfield using Louet Euroflax 100% linen yarn. It is an absolute JOY!  I am loving the pattern and yarn combo, and I'm excited for the finished object too.

Over the last week and a bit I had competed 4 repeats of the first body section, and yesterday I managed to complete 5 more full repeats! I didn't even feel like I had spent that much time knitting.

My husband did the driving, and I picked up a car vent clip cell phone holder to make my phone easy to see when using Knit Companion to track my pattern progress. I've been meaning to do this ever since I started using Knit Companion earlier this year, so I don't have to balance my phone on my lap when I'm a passenger in the car.  It turned out to be the perfect solution!

We didn't have any problems getting on the ferry on the way there - we arrived an hour early, and got on the next ferry - but the way home was a different story.  It was a 3 hour wait, end even then we were one of the last cars to get on at the very back of the truck deck. Had we arrived 5 minutes later, it would have been a 4 hour wait.

ferry knitting

Now, I'm not opposed to waiting (when I have my knitting), but the kids were already exhausted from a busy-no-naps-day, and it was a challenge to keep them occupied.  To make things worse, it was over 30 degrees outside, and there was only a small patch of shade in the over-stuffed ferry terminal. I actually didn't get ANY knitting done during this time.  Once we were on the ferry, the kids and dh b-lined for the play area, and I had 1.5 hours of relative peace and quiet to spend with my knitting.

I wore my polka dotted Southport Dress (which after consulting with my mom, I'm pretty sure the fabric is actually broadcloth), and the whole time I was thinking how well this poncho will go with it!  It feels really good to actually be building a cohesive wardrobe instead of a bunch of stuff that doesn't go together.

No comments:

Post a Comment