Saturday, July 20, 2019

Ashton Top // Helen's Closet // View B

After cutting the Maya Dress I suspected I might have just enough fabric left to cut an Ashton Top from my leftovers, and I did!  Well, barely, and sort of. I had to cut the armhole/neckline facing pieces on the wrong grain, but this fabric has almost identical stretch (none) width wise and length wise. So I figured I'd risk it.


I tried to get this Ashton sewn up in time to enter it into the Sewcialists Mini Challenge last weekend, but I decided to go to bed for the night on Sunday with the waist facing still to go.

Pattern
Ashton Top, Helen's Closet, View B (cropped)

Size
16, D-Cup


Fabric
Blackbird Fabrics, Summer 2019
Washed Linen, Baby Blue
100% linen, 154cm/54 inches, 2.5 meters
Hand wash cold, hang to dry, iron low (reality: machine wash gentle, warm, machine dry low)


Modifications
I lengthened the cropped version 1 inch to give me just a little tiny bit more coverage (enough to wear with high rise bottoms, but not enough for mid-rise (like the shorts shown)

I sewed the side seams at 3/8" again (after sewing it at 5/8" and deeming it too tight).

I will alter my pattern piece to add in that 1 inch in length more permanently and grade out at the waist by 1/4 inch.

Ashton Top by Helen's Closet shown with Lander Shorts, Zipper Expansion Pack by True Bias

Conclusions
A linen top always feels so luxurious to me, and this one is no different. I really love the colour, dimensions, and drape of this Ashton. I can see myself getting a lot of wear out of it. I will be making more in the future. I think adding an additional 2 inches would give me a good  length to wear with more mid-rise pants/shorts/skirts, but crops definitely feel more stylish and fun.

Update
More than anything this is a note to my future self...I've added 1/2" to the front and back side seam pieces, as well as the front and back bottom facing. I also added an extra 3/8" seam allowance to the back facing piece, because I cut it as two separate pieces instead of on the fold, so it needed a seam allowance.  The grade out starts right at the bottom of the bust dart.  I also lengthened the pattern piece by 1" since I wouldn't make it shorter than that again. The blue linen top above has that 1" added.

No comments:

Post a Comment